A Parable for Today
Submitted by Jim Lloyd
The story’s told of an economics professor at a local college who recently related that he had never failed a single student before, but just recently, he had failed an entire class. That class insisted that socialism, as represented by the current administration, works…that nobody would be poor, that nobody would be rich…that everything shared meant a paradise of equality.
The professor challenged the class to an experiment using socialism’s golden rule… that all grades would be averaged and everyone would receive the same grade, so no one would receive an A and no one would fail. (At this point, we offer a substitution of dollars for grades just to make the obvious political illustration that Obama’s concepts are doomed to fail.)
After the first test, the grades were averaged and everyone got a B. The students who studied (worked) hard were upset, while the students who studied little (slacked off) were happy. As the second test rolled around, the students who studied little studied even less (slacked off more), while the students who had really studied (worked) hard decided there was no point in working hard and studied little. The average test score for test number two was a D. No one was happy, and as the third test rolled around, the average was an F. As the tests proceeded, the scores never improved. The entire class was failing tests they should have easily passed.
Bickering, name calling, and blaming resulted in hard feelings where there were none before the great equalization experiment. (Have you heard the term “class warfare” used on the six o’clock news lately?) No one would study hard for the benefit of anyone else. Ultimately, to their great surprise, the entire class failed. The professor tried to make them understand that socialism, as is being pushed by Obama, is doomed to fail. When the reward for hard work is great, the effort to achieve is great. But when a centralized government dictates sharing of the rewards (wealth), the socialist concept, NEVER IN THE HISTORY OF MAN, NOT ONE TIME, HAS IT SUCCEEDED!!!
Five final thoughts to consider…
1) You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity.
2) What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3) The government cannot give anything to anybody without first taking it from somebody who has worked for it.
4) You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5) When the first half of the people realize they do not have to work because the second half is forced to support them by the centralized socialist government, and when that working second half realizes what’s going on…that’s the end of a nation.
The teacher’s unions have not taught the differences between capitalism and socialism for a reason. Ask why.